For The Love of Books is a blog that I dedicated for my love of books, my everyday journey of reading books, sharing recommendations on books to read and just share a review of what I thought of the books that I've read. And occassionally, there will be some things unrelated to books, but it will mostly be about my love of books.. Enjoy..

  • RSS
  • Delicious
  • Digg
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Linkedin
Posted by Roses - - 0 comments

This movie was just playing at the local theatre in Jakarta, so I went out and see it. This is based on a book which I've read around 5 months ago when i was traveling to Australia.


When I read the book, my favorite part was when Liz Gilbert was in Italy for the first 4 months of her travel. I enjoyed reading her adventures in Italy, trying out delicious Italian food, learning the beautiful Italian language. Reading this part makes me want to go to Italy to eat and learn the language as well. And in the movie, as expected, the view was beautiful and I thoroughly enjoyed the culinary sessions and Liz's adventure in Italy.

When she gets to India, like the book, I didn't like it so much.. In fact, I didn't like it at all. I even said to my friend who's watching the movie with me, I could actually have a toilet break during her travel to India, because I didn't like it in the book. It's boring and a snooze fest. And India is one part of the world that I have no interest and intention to visit, unless it's for work and I absolutely have to, but not by choice. And the India that the movie showed was not far from my imagination of what India would be. It's dirty and messy and smelly. But I wasn't able to take my toilet break because my seat was not close to the aisle.

When it gets to the Indonesia part, I quite enjoy it because it was funny. And although my country's poverty and cleanliness may not be as far off from India, at least Bali is one of the most beautiful area that Indonesia has. And it's somewhere close to home. The Bali part was funny, mostly because of Ketut Liyer. That old man was funny and hearing him speak English with an Indonesian touch and accent just got me laughing so hard.

Overall, the movie version is not as long as the book version (thank God for that.. ) But the scenery is worth it to look at in Italy and Bali. I wouldn't endure watching this movie for the second time though.


Leave a Reply