For The Love of Books is a blog that I dedicated for my love of books, my everyday journey of reading books, sharing recommendations on books to read and just share a review of what I thought of the books that I've read. And occassionally, there will be some things unrelated to books, but it will mostly be about my love of books.. Enjoy..

  • RSS
  • Delicious
  • Digg
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Linkedin
Posted by Roses - - 0 comments

Title : Until I Find You by John Irving

Read : 12 - 23 July 2010
Pages : 924 pages
Ratings : *** (3 out of 5 stars)

When I bought this book, it was 2006 in Melbourne, and this book was on the 3 for 2 tables at Borders Jam Factory in Chapel Street in Melbourne, during one of my return visit there. I already have 2 books picked up from this table and I only need to have the third one.

I have never read any of John Irving's books, but I have heard of him before. He's the writer of The Cider House Rules which I've always want to read but haven't got the chance to. So I thought I'd try this one. However, due to the size of the book (924 pages), I haven't had the urge to pick this book up. It's too thick and heavy to carry everywhere. So, 4 years later, here I am, reading this book for the first time.

The story is about Jack Burns, who are abandoned by his father since he was a little boy. The story follows him and his mother's search for this estranged dad across countries in Europe. Jack is born to a tattoo artist mother and an organist father. Jack definitely has abandonment issues and this affects his future relationship with women, thus his penchant for relationship with older women. In my opinion, this book covers a lot of the sensitive issues in society that we face today.

Much of the huge size of the book is due to the epic story of Jack from when he was 4 years old until he's 38 years old where he became a famous actor in Hollywood. I don't particularly like the part where the book talks about Jack's career in Hollywood in detail, especially his character (the Jack-as-someone part). I think the book can be shorter with just a brief description of his acting career, starting from his drama or theatre days in school.

However, since the book follows Jack's story for the 34 years of his life, i began to feel like I really know about this Jack Burns character and to my surprise, was a little bit sad when the book ends and felt like I've lost a friend. I stayed up late at night yesterday to finish the 150 pages or so left of this book.

For those of you who doesn't like explicit content in a book, I wouldn't suggest you read this book. There are some parts of this book that are just plain disturbing, even for me, as I like to think I'm pretty much open minded, but still some of the issues that are discussed in this book is a bit offensive.

I gave this book a 3 star, which in www.goodreads.com rating, it translates as I liked it. When I finished this book, my general consensus is that I actually liked this book. But I do not like it enough for me to make this one a favorite or for me to think that this book is amazing.



Leave a Reply